A Psalm of David when he fled from Absalom his son.
1 LORD, how they have increased who trouble me!
Many are they who rise up against me.
2 Many are they who say of me,
“There is no help for him in God.”
- Lord, I have troubles! Why am I so attacked and opposed by my enemies?
- Why does no one help me? Why do my enemies mock me?
- Lord, I feel alone and no one seems to believe You are with me.
- Lord, they think You will not come to my rescue. Are You there?
- Let me pause (Selah) for a moment and think about my plight and about Who You are.
3 But You, O LORD, are a shield for me,
My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
4 I cried to the LORD with my voice,
And He heard me from His holy hill.
- But You…
- You are a shield to protect me from the arrows of the enemy
- You are the only glory I can claim, for I have none compared to You
- You lift my head when others seek to take my head off
- You hear me when no one else hears me
- I cry to You, O Lord, with my feeble and oppressed voice, and You hear me!
- Let me stop and think about You a moment (Selah).
5 I lay down and slept;Psalm 3:5-6
I awoke, for the LORD sustained me.
6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people
Who have set themselves against me all around.
- I can lie down and rest, confident that You sustain me.
- I am confident that I will rise up again to face a new day because You, O Lord, sustain me.
- I will not be afraid of multitudes that may rise up against me, because You sustain me.
- I will not be overwhelmed by the enemy all around me, for You sustain me.
- You keep me when I lie down, You keep me when I rise up, You keep me in the midst of my enemies, You keep me when I am surrounded and overwhelmed.
- In all situations and circumstances, You keep me!
7 Arise, O LORD;
Save me, O my God!
For You have struck all my enemies on the cheekbone;
You have broken the teeth of the ungodly.
8 Salvation belongs to the LORD.
Your blessing is upon Your people.
- I call upon You to Arise, O Lord!
- Save me, O god!
- Strike my enemies on their face so that they cannot find me.
- Break their teeth that they may not gnash against me.
- You are the source of my salvation.
- You alone can save me or anyone else.
- Let Your blessings be upon Your people in their affliction, Lord!
- Lord, let me meditate (Selah) on You in my time of trouble.