Love Matters: Loving Souls
Notes from a sermon preached by Dr. Greg Sloop at the Kannapolis Church of God on Sunday, March 11, 2018 in the 10:30 am service. For video of service, go to the church website, http://www.kcog.org, and click on the livestream link for a replay of the service. For audio of the service, go the the website and click on the media page.
- 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
Luke 10:25–37 (NKJV)
- 25 And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
- 26 He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?”
- 27 So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’ ”
- 28 And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.”
Who Is Your Neighbor?
Last week, we saw this neighbor as the people sitting in this house and others who are part of the body of Christ.
Today, we see this neighbor as the people we come in contact with every day who are sinners in need of salvation.
The State of Today’s Lost Soul
29 But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
30 Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.
- Left For Dead
The State of Today’s Church
31 Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion.
- Disinterested Ministers
- Disinterested Church Leaders
- Where Are the Samaritans?
- 34 So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.’
- Healing Love
- Burden-Bearing Love
- Protecting Love
- Providing Love
- 36 So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?” 37 And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.” Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”
Be a Merciful Christian and share the mercy of God with souls in need!
- Lost Souls Need the Gospel of Love
- The Church Needs to Share This Soul-Saving Love
- Have the Spirit of the Samaritan!