Notes from a sermon presented by Dr. Greg Sloop at the Kannapolis Church of God on Sunday, April 15, 2018 in the 10:30 am service. For video of service, go to the church website, http://www.kcog.org, and click on the livestream link for a replay of the service. For audio of the service, go the the website and click on the media page.
Acts 2:40–47 (NKJV)
‘No Man is an Island’
No man is an island entire of itself; every man
is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
own were; any man’s death diminishes me,
because I am involved in mankind.
And therefore never send to know for whom
the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Israel and Judah: The Power of Together
- Jeremiah 3:17–18 (NKJV) 17 “At that time Jerusalem shall be called The Throne of the Lord, and all the nations shall be gathered to it, to the name of the Lord, to Jerusalem. No more shall they follow the dictates of their evil hearts. 18 “In those days the house of Judah shall walk with the house of Israel, and they shall come together out of the land of the north to the land that I have given as an inheritance to your fathers.
Togetherness in the Early Church
- Acts 2:40–47 (NKJV)
- 40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” 41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. 42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Expansion and Growth
- 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
Signs and Wonders
Things in Common
- 46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Expansion and Growth
How Can We Get Connected?
- Meta Groups (Church Membership, Denominational Connection, Missions, Parachurch Organizations)
- Congregational Groups (Choir, Youth, Children, Ladies, Men, Seniors, etc.)
- Micro Groups (Sunday School, Small Groups, Bible Studies)
•Togetherness makes for strength
•Connections in Christ have myriad benefits
•Connections in the Kingdom of God spur growth, support, and supply