NOTES FROM A SERMON PRESENTED BY DR. GREG SLOOP AT THE KANNAPOLIS CHURCH OF GOD ON SUNDAY, December 30, 2018 IN THE 10:30 AM SERVICE. FOR VIDEO OF SERVICES, GO TO THE CHURCH WEBSITE, HTTP://WWW.KCOG.ORG, AND CLICK ON THE LIVESTREAM LINK FOR A REPLAY OF THE SERVICES. FOR AUDIO OF THE SERVICES, GO THE THE WEBSITE AND CLICK ON THE MEDIA PAGE.
1 Corinthians 12 & 13
1 Corinthians 12:27–31 (NKJV)
I. A Body Mentality
- 27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.
- Develop the body mentality to be more excellent
II. Operate in Your Own (Best) Gifts
- 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
- 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret?
- Not everyone can do everything. Do what you can do best.
III. The Gifts Alone are Not Enough, Though
- 31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.
- Even when you give God back the gifts He gave you, it is not enough. Strive to be more excellent!
1 Corinthians 13:1-8 (NKJV)
IV. The Necessary Ingredient of Excellence is LOVE!
- 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.
- 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
- 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.
- These three comparisons show the reader the utter necessity of love. Gifts without love are useless!
V. What Love Does and Does Not Do
- 4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked,
- thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth;
- 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails.
- Notice in these verses what love does and what love does not do.
- God is looking for Excellence from His people
- Love is a key ingredient in excellence
- Gifting without love is just NOISE
- Love does patience, faith, truth, and hope.
- Love does not do selfish, mad, jealous, evil, or failure.