NOTES FROM A SERMON PRESENTED BY DR. GREG SLOOP AT THE KANNAPOLIS CHURCH OF GOD ON SUNDAY, February 10, 2019 IN THE 10:30 AM SERVICE. FOR VIDEO OF SERVICES, GO TO THE CHURCH WEBSITE, HTTP://WWW.KCOG.ORG, AND CLICK ON THE LIVESTREAM LINK FOR A REPLAY OF THE SERVICES. FOR AUDIO OF THE SERVICES, GO THE THE WEBSITE AND CLICK ON THE MEDIA PAGE.
Acts 2:40–47 (NKJV)
- 40 And with many other words he testified and exhorted them, saying, “Be saved from this perverse generation.” 41 Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. 42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.
I. Saved, Redeemed, Converted, Set Apart (Evangelism)
II. Growing (Evangelism & Discipleship)
III. Doctrinal (Discipleship)
IV. Fellowship (Discipleship & Fellowship)
V. Eating (Fellowship)
VI. Praying (Fellowship & Worship)
- 43 Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. 44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.
VII. Fear of God (Worship)
A. Fear does not mean panic or dread, but more so an awe of Who God is.
B. Knowing God should make us fear many things.
1. Fear the judgment of God if we are living in sin.
2. Fear the consequences of sin
3. Live in awe of the mercies of God and His love
VIII. Signs and Wonders (Worship and Submission)
A. The New Testament is full of stories about the miracles of Christ, and then the miracles that occurred through the ministries of the disciples
B. Miracles are the privilege of the church today as God wills. We must be willing to believe for miracles, signs, and wonders for the church. Don’t be willing to settle for less than everything that God has for us!
IX. Togetherness (Fellowship)
A. It started with one accord in the upper room, and the Holy Spirit fell.
B. It continued with a people that had common goals, common desires, common belief, common joys, common sorrows, common prayer, common struggles, common victories. Today, we need to have all things in common. Share your struggles and joys. Share your love and your pain.
X. Generosity and Provision (Stewardship)
A. They also shared their bounty, their plenty.
B. They gave to others as they had need. They did not consider their belongings to be theirs alone. Instead, as God blessed them, they blessed others. As God provided for them, they provided for others.
The New Testament Church is a model for the church of today
The NT Church feared God in Worship
The NT Church experienced signs and wonders through the work of the Holy Spirit
The NT Church was together in koinonia
The NT Church was generous
Part Three will be posted in a separate blog next week as it is preached in service. Check back in later!
- 46 So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47 praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.