Ezekiel 16:4-7, Ezekiel 37:1–14 (NKJV)
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24th, 10:30 AM SERVICE
NOTES FROM A SERMON PRESENTED BY DR. GREG SLOOP AT THE KANNAPOLIS CHURCH OF GOD. FOR VIDEO OF SERVICES, GO TO THE CHURCH WEBSITE, HTTP://WWW.KCOG.ORG, AND CLICK ON THE LIVESTREAM LINK TO VIEW LIVE OR FOR A REPLAY OF THE SERVICES. YOU MAY ALSO WATCH LIVE OR A REPLAY ON the DR. Greg SLOOP FACEBOOK PAGE. FOR AUDIO OF THE SERVICES, GO To THE WEBSITE, kcog.org, AND CLICK ON THE MEDIA PAGE.
January 22, 2023
God Told Israel: “Live”
Ezekiel 16:4–7 (NKJV)
4 As for your nativity, on the day you were born your navel cord was not cut, nor were you washed in water to cleanse you; you were not rubbed with salt nor wrapped in swaddling cloths.
5 No eye pitied you, to do any of these things for you, to have compassion on you; but you were thrown out into the open field, when you yourself were loathed on the day you were born.
Ezekiel 16:6–7 (NKJV)
6 “And when I passed by you and saw you struggling in your own blood, I said to you in your blood, ‘Live!’ Yes, I said to you in your blood, ‘Live!’
7 I made you thrive like a plant in the field; and you grew, matured, and became very beautiful. Your breasts were formed, your hair grew, but you were naked and bare.Ezekiel 16:4-7
- The baby was without parentage, left alone, unattended, uncared for (v. 4)
- No one came to the baby’s rescue
- The baby was thrown away in a field
- This child was loathed by all who knew him or her (v. 5)
- He Lord came along and saw the plight of the baby
- He spoke to the child as it struggled in its blood
- He told the child to live
- He prophesied over the child to live
- He spoke life over the child (v. 6)
- He then cared for the child
- The child grew up and thrived
- The child grew up, matured, became adult (v. 7)
Prophecy to the Dry Bones: “Live!”
Ezekiel 37:1–14 (NKJV)
1 The hand of the Lord came upon me and brought me out in the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley; and it was full of bones.
2 Then He caused me to pass by them all around, and behold, there were very many in the open valley; and indeed they were very dry. 3 And He said to me, “Son of man, can these bones live?”
So I answered, “O Lord God, You know.”
4 Again He said to me, “Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, ‘O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! 5 Thus says the Lord God to these bones: “Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live.
6 I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. Then you shall know that I am the Lord.” ’ ”
7 So I prophesied as I was commanded; and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and suddenly a rattling; and the bones came together, bone to bone.
8 Indeed, as I looked, the sinews and the flesh came upon them, and the skin covered them over; but there was no breath in them.
9 Also He said to me, “Prophesy to the breath, prophesy, son of man, and say to the breath, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe on these slain, that they may live.” ’ ”
10 So I prophesied as He commanded me, and breath came into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, an exceedingly great army.
11 Then He said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. They indeed say, ‘Our bones are dry, our hope is lost, and we ourselves are cut off!’
12 Therefore prophesy and say to them, ‘Thus says the Lord God: “Behold, O My people, I will open your graves and cause you to come up from your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.
13 Then you shall know that I am the Lord, when I have opened your graves, O My people, and brought you up from your graves.
14 I will put My Spirit in you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I, the Lord, have spoken it and performed it,” says the Lord.’ ”Ezekiel 37:1-14
- If we will allow God, He will open our eyes to the needs of the weak and dying spiritually, emotionally, even physically (v. 1)
- There are many Christians who struggle and have no hope
- If we look, we can find people with needs who could use encouragement
- God asks us if we care. God asks us if we see the pain in the brother or sister next to us in the pew
- God knows that the dry bones can live again, but He asks us the question to see where we stand (v. 2-3)
- Once Ezekiel deferred to God’s wisdom, God ordered him to prophecy to the bones.
- He was to prophecy that breath would enter the bones and that they would live (v. 4-5)!
- He promised sinews (muscles), signifying strength
- He promised to cover them with skin, signifying protection
- He promised to put breath in them, signifying life
- He promised their knowledge of Him, signifying faith (v. 6)
- Ezekiel obeyed the Lord and prophesied over the bones
- As he prophesied, he heard the rattling of bones
- The bones came together, bone to bone (v. 7)
- The muscles and skin came upon the bones, but there was no breath in them
- Sometimes restoration and healing are progressive, step by step (v. 8)
- God told Ezekiel to prophesy to the breath to come from the four winds
- Ezekiel responded and called to the breath to come and breathe on the slain, that they may live (v. 9)!
- As Ezekiel prophesied, breath came into the bones
- They lived
- They stood up
- They formed an exceedingly great army (v. 10)
- God is calling us to be His army today
- Too many of us are weak, sick ,dead
- Too many of us are discouraged or depressed
- Too many of us are out of shape and weak
- Too many of us are distant from the Lord
- Too many of us are tied up with sin and/or guilt
- The Lord is calling us to breathe life into one another and prophecy LIFE (v. 11)
- The Lord prophesies to us today that He will open our graves and cause us to come out and make a difference in our land (v. 12)!
- This is a real offer, and God knows that when we believe, we will see the hand of the Lord do exactly what He said He would do (v. 13)
- God longs to reveal Himself and His life-giving power to all who stand in need (v. 14)
- Takeaway Thoughts
- The Power of the Tongue
- The Power of Prophecy
- The Power of Encouragement and Support