The Way of the Righteous and the End of the Ungodly
1 Blessed is the manPsalm 1:1-3
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
- Lord, I long to live in Your blessings. I pray to be highly favored by you. I long to be happy in your presence.
- Help me to live in a way that opens the door for those blessings.
- Give me the discernment to know those with whom I associate. Encourage me daily to shun the ungodly as counselors, sinners as partners, and the scornful as companions.
- I commit to delight in your Word, the law of the Lord. I long to meditate on that law numerous times a day, to reflect on Your wisdom, Your instruction, and Your rebuke and correction. I want to be transformed and taught by Your Word daily.
- I thank you that I can be a tree in Your orchard.
- Plant me firmly in the soil of Your garden. Let my foundation be strong in You.
- Water me with Your living water. Nourish my being by Your Holy Spirit.
- Make me fruitful as I live for You. Give me fruit for my labors. Allow me to bring my gifts before You, the fruit You have called forth in my life.
- Give me stamina and longevity, that I may serve You for years and not falter. Sustain me by Your strong right hand. I will be strong in You!
- Prosper me as I follow You and commune with You. Let me prosper for Your glory and for the good of Your kingdom and those around me.
4 The ungodly are not so,Psalm 1:4-5
But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
- God, I understand that the ungodly and the sinner will not prosper or produce fruit. They are cut off from the source of all that is good.
- The ungodly are like the husks of the grain that are driven here and there by the wind. They have no stability or strength. They are considered waste, unnecessary and useless.
- When judgment falls, they will not survive. The ungodly will suffer the consequences of their sins.
- They will not sit in the place of happiness or joy with the righteous. They will be outside, looking in at the glorious blessings of the Lord.
- I do not rejoice in their plight, I do not celebrate their demise, but their end is inevitable unless they repent and submit to You, O Lord.
6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous,Psalm 1:6
But the way of the ungodly shall perish.
- You know my way if I am righteous. You see everything and know everything, but you are intimately involved in my walk if I purpose to walk with You. Help me, O Lord, to walk with You every day. You are my source and strength, my center and my circumference. You are everything to me. Help me to live in a way that reflects that, so that I may glorify You.
- The path of the ungodly leads to destruction. The way of the sinner will fail. I mourn over their utter loss, yet it seems hopeless. Help them to turn to You before time as we know it ends. Help them to come to salvation before they stand before Your judgment.
I thank You, O Lord, that You allow me to be blessed in You. Thank you that You know me, for in You I will not perish.