The Glory of the LORD In Creation
To the Chief Musician. On the Instrument of Gath. A Psalm of David.
1 O LORD, our Lord,
How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
Who have set Your glory above the heavens!
2 Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infantsPsalm 8:1-2
You have ordained strength,
Because of Your enemies,
That You may silence the enemy and the avenger.
- O Lord, my Lord, the Lord of the whole earth, Your glory is higher than the heavens.
- How excellent is Your name, the identifying word that describes Your glory.
- You are mightier and more excellent than any all beings great and small. You created us and You are the only righteous judge.
- Even babies and nursing infants gain their strength from You, and they declare Your glory.
- You defend us and silence our enemies and the one who would seek vengeance against us.
- You are our source of strength and protection.
- Praise be to the Lord, Who watches over us and defends us in His glory!
3 When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
4 What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?
5 For You have made him a little lower than the angels,
And You have crowned him with glory and honor.
6 You have made him to have dominion over the works of Your hands;Psalm 8:3-8
You have put all things under his feet,
7 All sheep and oxen—
Even the beasts of the field,
8 The birds of the air,
And the fish of the sea
That pass through the paths of the seas.
- When I contemplate on the heavens, the moon and stars, constellations and galaxies, and realize that Your word alone created them, I am in awe.
- You ordained the earth and the heavens, and they became a reality.
- In light of the greatness of Your creation, how can You even think of me? I am a small speck of organic material on the face of a vast earth, in a gigantic solar system, in an inconceivably large galaxy.
- Yet, You are mindful of mankind. You have given us dominion and rule over the earth in Your name.
- You created us to be just below the angels in our being. We are not supernatural or transcendent, but we do have power in the physical realm.
- You have crowned us with Your authority on the earth.
- Everything, the sheep, oxen, beasts of the field, birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, swimming in its currents, are under our feet.
- They help us grow food to eat, they are our meat for sustenance, they are ours for the best use we can devise.
- You have given us the rights to everything on earth, and we can exercise that authority in the name of Jesus.
- We can take authority even over our mortal enemy, the prince of the power of the air, Satan himself. Even he is under our feet!
9 O LORD, our Lord,Psalm 8:9
How excellent is Your name in all the earth!
- Thank You for allowing us to operate in Your powerful, lovely name.
- Your name is excellent, outpacing every other name.
- No other name can bring salvation.
- No other name can bring healing.
- No other name can deliver the captives and set men and women free.
- Your name, O Lord, is greater than any other name, excellent in ALL THE EARTH!
- Thank You that we can operate and live in Your name!