Prayer with Confidence in Final Salvation
A Prayer of David.
1 Hear a just cause, O LORD,
Attend to my cry;
Give ear to my prayer which is not from deceitful lips.
2 Let my vindication come from Your presence;
Let Your eyes look on the things that are upright.
3 You have tested my heart;Psalm 17:1-5
You have visited me in the night;
You have tried me and have found nothing;
I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
4 Concerning the works of men,
By the word of Your lips,
I have kept away from the paths of the destroyer.
5 Uphold my steps in Your paths,
That my footsteps may not slip.
- Hear me, O LORD!
- I cry unto You with honest lips: “Vindicate me!”
- Look upon the uprightness of my heart.
- You know me, Lord, that I am a man, but I am righteous by Your grace, holy because of Your mercy.
- In my applied holiness, and in my desire to serve You in holiness, respond to me.
- I have worked hard to not speak or act in evil ways.
- I have rightly walked in ways that kept me from sin, according to Your instruction.
- Hold me fast, Lord, that I may not slip in this morally uncertain world.
- Show me the path to walk and give me the words to say that I can praise and glorify You with my life.
6 I have called upon You, for You will hear me, O God;
Incline Your ear to me, and hear my speech.
7 Show Your marvelous lovingkindness by Your right hand,
O You who save those who trust in You
From those who rise up against them.
8 Keep me as the apple of Your eye;
Hide me under the shadow of Your wings,
9 From the wicked who oppress me,
From my deadly enemies who surround me.
10 They have closed up their fat hearts;Psalm 17:6-12
With their mouths they speak proudly.
11 They have now surrounded us in our steps;
They have set their eyes, crouching down to the earth,
12 As a lion is eager to tear his prey,
And like a young lion lurking in secret places.
- I know You will hear and respond to my prayers, Lord. You have proven it over and over.
- You are my Defender, my refuge. Your right hand saves me in Your mercy.
- Save me from my enemies, as if I am the object of Your love and affection.
- Hide me, Lord, under Your strong wings. Let me hide in their shadow.
- Keep me from the oppression of the wicked, who lie in wait to attack me.
- They are obese with their overabundance of pleasures, proud and arrogant toward God and man.
- They surround those they wish to oppress, like a great cat crouching in order to pounce.
- Evil men and demons seem ready to tear Your people apart in their greed and pride.
13 Arise, O LORD,
Confront him, cast him down;
Deliver my life from the wicked with Your sword,
14 With Your hand from men, O LORD,
From men of the world who have their portion in this life,
And whose belly You fill with Your hidden treasure.
They are satisfied with children,
And leave the rest of their possession for their babes.
15 As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness;Psalm 17:13-15
I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.
- Rise up, God against these fat cats. Confront them directly and throw them down in the dust!
- Deliver me, O LORD, from these wicked attackers. Cut them down and save me with Your powerful right hand.
- Let not those greedy, arrogant people overwhelm Your covenant people who dwell on the earth.
- We are Your people, Lord. You feed us and give us good in this life.
- You honor us by allowing us to feed from Your treasure.
- You satisfy us with the blessing of family, giving us children, and we can leave them an inheritance.
- Bless our families and prosper us that we might care for them and leave them a legacy and a heritage.
- In my heart, I know, O LORD, that You will shine Your face upon me.
- You will satisfy my soul when I awake every morning.
- You will make me more and more like You as I follow You.
- Give me the strength to worship You, to emulate You, and to serve You with all my heart.
- You are my God, and I long to live out the covenant You have provided for Your people.
- Thank You for loving me!