The LORD The Shepherd of His People
A Psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.Psalm 23:1-3a
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul;
- Lord, I praise You as my Shepherd.
- Your nurture and protection are all I need. I pray for them to flourish in my life every day. I know that they will, for You are faithful.
- You give me food to eat that I did not find for myself. You are my Great Provider.
- You lead me to the waters to drink that are safe and free from enemies. You are my Great Protector.
- You restore my soul, giving me the bread and water of life.
- You strengthen me when I am weak, You comfort me when I am afraid.
- I love You with all my being and do not want to walk in the earth without You.
- Be my Shepherd every day. I will surely follow You.
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,Psalm 23:3b-4
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
- O LORD, I know that You lead me where I need to go. Continue to lead me in the paths that will bring glory to Your name.
- Even when I do not understand the path You have set before me, help me to willingly follow, not striking out on a path that would lead me to sin.
- You know my goings and my comings before they ever happen. Whatever I face, I know it does not surprise You, and that You will bring me through it.
- Even if I walk in a path, surrounded on every side, and feeling the demons of death all around me, I will not fear.
- My flesh may tremble, but my spirit will be courageous, because You are with me.
- You lead by Your rod and staff, and You protect with Your rod and staff.
- When I am out of line, You pull me back in. When I am disobedient, You get my attention so that I will obey.
- However, when the enemy comes near, You defend me with Your staff and You beat off the enemy with You rod. You will not allow my enemy to defeat or devour me.
- God help me every day to hear Your voice, feel the tug of Your Spirit, and respond obediently to the conviction that comes when Your Spirit reveals my sinfulness.
- I am Your sheep, I know Your voice, I will follow Your lead.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;Psalm 23:5-6
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD
- The awesome thing about Your provision and protection is that You will do both at the same time.
- You prepare feeding for me, even while my enemies lurk around the edge of the dining area. You feed me and protect me in the same moment.
- Because You always have, I can trust that You always will.
- I can sit calmly and eat at Your table, because You will keep my enemies from me.
- Not only that, but You anoint my head with oil to protect my mind from the infiltration of evil thoughts and fears. You protect my mind from the enemies of my soul. Fear tactics will no longer work, for Your have foiled them all and anointed my mind.
- When I eat and drink at Your table, my cup runs over with and overflow of Your blessings. You are overabundant and extreme in the way You lavish Your love and gifts upon me.
- You anoint me to protect me, but You also anoint me to serve You and bless others. Praise God for the calling to serve!
- Your goodness is everlasting. You mercy and lovingkindness are without end. My life will be blessed as long as I follow the Shepherd, for the Shepherd holds the supply for my life.
- Lord, help me to follow You all the way. Forgive me when I stray. Find me when I am lost, and bring me back.
- At times, I am stupid and stubborn. Sometimes I wander away, simply distracted by something that has no value.
- But You are my Shepherd. Therefore, I shall not want. Help me to keep my eyes on You!