9 Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am in trouble;Psalm 31:9-13
My eye wastes away with grief,
Yes, my soul and my body!
10 For my life is spent with grief,
And my years with sighing;
My strength fails because of my iniquity,
And my bones waste away.
11 I am a reproach among all my enemies,
But especially among my neighbors,
And am repulsive to my acquaintances;
Those who see me outside flee from me.
12 I am forgotten like a dead man, out of mind;
I am like a broken vessel.
13 For I hear the slander of many;
Fear is on every side;
While they take counsel together against me,
They scheme to take away my life.
- Lord, You are my hope when I am in trouble.
- Have mercy on me in my tough times.
- I feel as if my life is wasting away, with little hope or purpose.
- Sometimes I grieve over the life I dreamt of for the future, but has never materialized.
- I sigh when I think of lost opportunities and my own iniquity.
- All my enemies laugh at and mock me.
- I make my friends and neighbors sick because of my failure and the scorn of my enemies.
- No one makes eye contact and I am shunned by everyone.
- I am forgotten like a broken plate, swept away with the refuse.
- I fear my enemies as they plot against me.
- My foes seek ways to kill me and end my existence.
- Help me, O LORD, for I am weak and I do not know how to turn the tide of my terrifying life!
14 But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD;Psalm 31:14-18
I say, “You are my God.”
15 My times are in Your hand;
Deliver me from the hand of my enemies,
And from those who persecute me.
16 Make Your face shine upon Your servant;
Save me for Your mercies’ sake.
17 Do not let me be ashamed, O LORD, for I have called upon You;
Let the wicked be ashamed;
Let them be silent in the grave.
18 Let the lying lips be put to silence,
Which speak insolent things proudly and contemptuously against the righteous.
- But I know that You are my God.
- I trust You when I cannot see or feel You.
- I place the days of my life, the times of my days, into Your capable hands.
- Lord, deliver me from my enemies and my persecutors.
- Shine on me in my darkness and let me know You are there.
- Take away my terrible shame and save me.
- Let those who oppose me find shame for their actions.
- If necessary, stop them in their tracks and end their existence to save me.
- Shut their mouths as they speak lies against me.
- Reduce them to humility in their pride, and end their contempt for me.
- Save the righteous and let us shine like the sun again.
- Redeem us from the pit of despair and make us whole. I trust You, O LORD, for You are faithful to me.