Man’s Wickedness and God’s Perfections
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David the Servant of the LORD.
1 An oracle within my heart concerning the transgression of the wicked:
There is no fear of God before his eyes.
2 For he flatters himself in his own eyes,
When he finds out his iniquity and when he hates.
3 The words of his mouth are wickedness and deceit;
He has ceased to be wise and to do good.
4 He devises wickedness on his bed;
He sets himself in a way that is not good;
He does not abhor evil.
- Lord, as I ponder on the wicked, I know that You are aware of their sinfulness and pride.
- They do not fear You, nor do they see a need for You.
- The wicked flatter themselves and hate those around them.
- Their mouths are full of deceit and lies. They bear no wisdom or goodness.
- As they lie on the bed, they devise evil schemes and do not walk in the ways of God.
- They love evil and follow after it all the day.
5 Your mercy, O LORD, is in the heavens;
Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
6 Your righteousness is like the great mountains;
Your judgments are a great deep;
O LORD, You preserve man and beast.
7 How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God!
Therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of Your wings.
8 They are abundantly satisfied with the fullness of Your house,
And You give them drink from the river of Your pleasures.
9 For with You is the fountain of life;
In Your light we see light.
- Lord, Your greatness is beyond measure!
- How can evil men deny You?
- Your mercy is higher than the heavens.
- Your righteousness dwarfs the highest mountain peaks.
- Your judgments are deeper than the ocean depths.
- You are beyond compare!
- You give life and sustain life to all creatures, great and small.
- How precious is your mercy, O LORD.
- The children You created can trust You.
- They can hide under Your wings and be satisfied by Your fullness.
- They drink from Your pure fountain and see by the Light of Your truth.
10 Oh, continue Your lovingkindness to those who know You,
And Your righteousness to the upright in heart.
11 Let not the foot of pride come against me,
And let not the hand of the wicked drive me away.
12 There the workers of iniquity have fallen;
They have been cast down and are not able to rise.
- Continue to love us, O LORD.
- Your mercy and love provide us righteousness in spite of our sins.
- Save me from the proud and arrogant ones who would attack me.
- Save me from the reprobates who deny Your existence.
- Take down the workers of iniquity and cast them down so that they cannot rise again.
- Judge the wicked and preserve the righteous. Let me always be righteous before You, O LORD>
- I love Your ways, Your mercy, and Your love!