Faith Persevering in Trial
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me,Psalm 40:1-3
And heard my cry.
2 He also brought me up out of a horrible pit,
Out of the miry clay,
And set my feet upon a rock,
And established my steps.
3 He has put a new song in my mouth—
Praise to our God;
Many will see it and fear,
And will trust in the LORD.
- Lord, if I can discipline myself to wait, I know You will hear me and answer my cry.
- You bring me up from a pit, with mire and mud, and You set my feet in a secure and stable place.
- You give me reason to sing.
- I will sing a new song of praise unto You my God!
- I will witness of Your greatness for all to see.
- I will trust in You.
- Continue to show me Your grace that I may follow You all my days.
4 Blessed is that man who makes the LORD his trust,Psalm 40:4-5
And does not respect the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
5 Many, O LORD my God, are Your wonderful works
Which You have done;
And Your thoughts toward us
Cannot be recounted to You in order;
If I would declare and speak of them,
They are more than can be numbered.
- Bless me as I trust in You, O LORD.
- I will reject the proud and those who lie.
- Your works are marvelous, and Your thoughts are so high.
- I cannot remember all the great things You do, say and think.
- They are innumerable and immense, O God.
6 Sacrifice and offering You did not desire;Psalm 40:6-8
My ears You have opened.
Burnt offering and sin offering You did not require.
7 Then I said, “Behold, I come;
In the scroll of the book it is written of me.
8 I delight to do Your will, O my God,
And Your law is within my heart.”
- I know that You do not desire sacrifices, for You have shown me that You desire my obedience and my worship.
- I will do Your will and I will internalize Your laws.
- I will obey You and show You my devotion.
9 I have proclaimed the good news of righteousnessPsalm 40:9-12
In the great assembly;
Indeed, I do not restrain my lips,
O LORD, You Yourself know.
10 I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart;
I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation;
I have not concealed Your lovingkindness and Your truth
From the great assembly.
11 Do not withhold Your tender mercies from me, O LORD;
Let Your lovingkindness and Your truth continually preserve me.
12 For innumerable evils have surrounded me;
My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up;
They are more than the hairs of my head;
Therefore my heart fails me.
- I will proclaim Your gospel among all people.
- I will not stop speaking of Your greatness and goodness.
- You are a faithful Savior. Save me and those I love. Save the strangers and the aliens. Save everyone that may call on Your name!
- Preserve me with Your mercy. Many attack me and long to destroy me.
- My own sin makes me ashamed, greater than I can even recall.
13 Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me;Psalm 40:13-15
O LORD, make haste to help me!
14 Let them be ashamed and brought to mutual confusion
Who seek to destroy my life;
Let them be driven backward and brought to dishonor
Who wish me evil.
15 Let them be confounded because of their shame,
Who say to me, “Aha, aha!”
- Deliver me, O LORD, from my sins. Save me from my own failures.
- Drive back my enemies and confound their thinking and their ruthless plans.
- Let my mockers be silenced. Save me and heal me and protect me, O God!
16 Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You;Psalm 40:16-17
Let such as love Your salvation say continually,
“The LORD be magnified!”
17 But I am poor and needy;
Yet the LORD thinks upon me.
You are my help and my deliverer;
Do not delay, O my God.
- But save those who seek You. Let them be full of joy and gladness.
- May we all praise Your name with our whole hearts and declare Your greatness to all.
- I am poor and needy, not worthy of Your love or attention, yet You think about me.
- You alone are my salvation, my help, my deliverance.
- Come to me quickly, O God and save me from my enemies and from myself.
- You are my LORD and my God. I praise You with my whole being. Blessed be Your name!