8 I would hasten my escape
From the windy storm and tempest.”
9 Destroy, O Lord, and divide their tongues,
For I have seen violence and strife in the city.
10 Day and night they go around it on its walls;
Iniquity and trouble are also in the midst of it.
11 Destruction is in its midst;
Oppression and deceit do not depart from its streets.
- Lord, I need Your deliverance from the storm that surrounds me.
- My enemies work against me where I live.
- Satan and his demons strive to destroy my family and those I love.
- The enemy uses deceit and lies to create trouble.
- Deliver me, O LORD, and protect me from their schemes.
12 For it is not an enemy who reproaches me;
Then I could bear it.
Nor is it one who hates me who has exalted himself against me;
Then I could hide from him.
13 But it was you, a man my equal,
My companion and my acquaintance.
14 We took sweet counsel together,
And walked to the house of God in the throng.
15 Let death seize them;
Let them go down alive into hell,
For wickedness is in their dwellings and among them.
- Lord, the deepest wounds I have came from my friends.
- The people I thought I could trust betrayed me.
- We spent meaningful time together and worked side by side, but then they turned on me.
- I want them to suffer, but I know I must forgive.
- Heal me from my wounds, but also help me to love them in spite of their evil ways.
- Protect me from this pain if possible, Lord.
16 As for me, I will call upon God,
And the LORD shall save me.
17 Evening and morning and at noon
I will pray, and cry aloud,
And He shall hear my voice.
18 He has redeemed my soul in peace from the battle that was against me,
For there were many against me.
19 God will hear, and afflict them,
Even He who abides from of old.
- Lord, in my distress, I will call on You.
- I trust You that You will help me and save me.
- Lord, I know You will save me whenever I call.
- I know You will save me in the battles I face.
- You will save me no matter how many enemies I face.
- You will save me forever and beyond.
Because they do not change,
Therefore they do not fear God.
20 He has put forth his hands against those who were at peace with him;
He has broken his covenant.
21 The words of his mouth were smoother than butter,
But war was in his heart;
His words were softer than oil,
Yet they were drawn swords.
- My enemies are foolish, thinking that they can overcome Your power.
- They are ignorant of the truth concerning You.
- They attack those who offer peace.
- They break their promises.
- They flatter with smooth words.
- They stab others in the back.
- You know them, Lord. Stop their hands from war.
22 Cast your burden on the LORD,
And He shall sustain you;
He shall never permit the righteous to be moved.
- Lord, I give You my issues, my problems, my frustrations.
- Keep me in the midst of my fight.
- Plant me firmly in the plan You have for me.
- Give the stability in a storm-tossed world.
- Make me whole.
23 But You, O God, shall bring them down to the pit of destruction;
Bloodthirsty and deceitful men shall not live out half their days;
But I will trust in You.
- Turn my enemies away, even my friends who have turned their backs on me.
- Shorten their reign of terror and save me from their plans and schemes.
- I know their end is certain, and that You will sustain me.
- I will trust in You, and no one else. You are my God. You are my Lord. You are my Savior.