The Just Judgment of the Wicked
To the Chief Musician. Set to “Do Not Destroy.” A Michtam of David.
1 Do you indeed speak righteousness, you silent ones?
Do you judge uprightly, you sons of men?
2 No, in heart you work wickedness;
You weigh out the violence of your hands in the earth.
- Lord, let my mouth only utter truth and righteousness.
- I will not keep silent, but I will speak Your truth.
- Let me discern the depths of hearts. I desire to do good and not evil.
- I abhor violence and harm.
- Help me to be the instrument of Your peace.
3 The wicked are estranged from the womb;
They go astray as soon as they are born, speaking lies.
4 Their poison is like the poison of a serpent;
They are like the deaf cobra that stops its ear,
5 Which will not heed the voice of charmers,
Charming ever so skillfully.
6 Break their teeth in their mouth, O God!
Break out the fangs of the young lions, O LORD!
7 Let them flow away as waters which run continually;
When he bends his bow,
Let his arrows be as if cut in pieces.
8 Let them be like a snail which melts away as it goes,
Like a stillborn child of a woman, that they may not see the sun.
- Lord, wickedness separates mankind from You, led astray in lies and poisonous communication.
- Keep me in Your truth.
- Let me not be immune to Your drawing and Your guidance.
- If I stray into evil, chasten me, for I do not want to lose my closeness with You.
- Stop my hands if I move toward evil, and stop my steps if I walk toward ruin.
- Keep me in Your holy will!
9 Before your pots can feel the burning thorns,
He shall take them away as with a whirlwind,
As in His living and burning wrath.
10 The righteous shall rejoice when he sees the vengeance;
He shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked,
11 So that men will say,
“Surely there is a reward for the righteous;
Surely He is God who judges in the earth.”
- Lord, I pray that You would stop evil in it tracks.
- Wipe sinful activity from the face of the earth.
- Let the righteous shine as the evil are diminished.
- Your will be done, and may sin be destroyed in all the earth!