Matthew 19:16–26 (NKJV)
NOTES FROM A SERMON PRESENTED BY DR. GREG SLOOP AT THE KANNAPOLIS CHURCH OF GOD ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2019 IN THE 5:00 PM SERVICE. FOR VIDEO OF SERVICES, GO TO THE CHURCH WEBSITE, HTTP://WWW.KCOG.ORG, AND CLICK ON THE LIVESTREAM LINK FOR A REPLAY OF THE SERVICES. FOR AUDIO OF THE SERVICES, GO THE THE WEBSITE AND CLICK ON THE MEDIA PAGE.
16 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?”
17 So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.”
18 He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “ ‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ 19 ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ ”
20 The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
25 When His disciples heard it, they were greatly astonished, saying, “Who then can be saved?”
26 But Jesus looked at them and said to them, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
- Being Good or Doing Good is Not the Key
- Keeping the Commandments is a Positive Step
- What More Should We Do?
- Divesting Yourself of Riches
- Divesting Yourself of the Love of Riches
- Divesting Yourself of the Need for Riches
- Learning that Riches are a Tool, Not a Destination
- Riches are a Means, Not an End
- Riches come in many forms (Money, possessions, relationships, career, hobbies)
- Anything that restricts you from serving God completely and sacrificially is sinful and a hindrance to your walk with God!
- God can help you to overcome your infatuation with riches of any kind
- Seeking is appropriate
- Be prepared for what you seek
- Don’t let anything stand in the way of following Christ