Folly of the Godless, and God’s Final Triumph
To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”Psalm 14:1-3
They are corrupt,
They have done abominable works,
There is none who does good.
2 The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.
3 They have all turned aside,
They have together become corrupt;
There is none who does good,
No, not one.
- Lord, You exist in transcendent glory and power.
- Lord, You are the God of all humanity.
- Lord, You are the Creator of Heaven, Earth, animals, plants, and mankind. To see Your wonderful creation is to hear the shouts of the earth that You are God.
- Yet, Lord, foolish men and women declare that You do not exist.
- How can they be so deceived, LORD? And yet they are.
- They are corrupt in their thinking and their actions. They do no good at all in Your sight.
- Lord, I know that You look down on earth, seeking for those who seek You.
- You may ask, “Does anyone understand Me?”
- There is no one who is good besides You, O LORD.
- You are the only holy, righteous One that can be known.
- We are all fools until we acknowledge Your existence and greatness, and embrace Your glory.
- Yet, Lord, I know that there is a righteous remnant, known only to You, O LORD.
- I want to be a part of Your people, a member of Your kingdom, a vessel for Your use. Make me holy daily and use me for Your glory!
4 Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge,
Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
And do not call on the LORD?
5 There they are in great fear,
For God is with the generation of the righteous.
6 You shame the counsel of the poor,
But the LORD is his refuge.
7 Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion!Psalm 14:4-7
When the LORD brings back the captivity of His people,
Let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad.
- Man has no knowledge, for they shun You and Your truth.
- They take advantage of others and oppress the poor.
- They do not acknowledge You or offer prayers to You.
- However, when You show Yourself mighty, they recoil in fear and realize the futility of their existence.
- They fear the failure of their enterprises and dread the end of their days.
- They oppress the poor and take from the unfortunate.
- However, You O LORD, are with the righteous. You are our Refuge in times of trouble. Watch over me, Lord, and keep me when my enemies come against me.
- I pray that our help would come from the presence of the LORD.
- Bring back the blessings that have been held captive by the enemy.
- In Your presence and with Your blessings, I will rejoice and be glad. I will sing, play, and say glorious things to recollect Your wondrous works as my Lord.