1 Plead my cause, O LORD, with those who strive with me;
Fight against those who fight against me.
2 Take hold of shield and buckler,
And stand up for my help.
3 Also draw out the spear,
And stop those who pursue me.
Say to my soul,
“I am your salvation.”
4 Let those be put to shame and brought to dishonorPsalm 34:1-8
Who seek after my life;
Let those be turned back and brought to confusion
Who plot my hurt.
5 Let them be like chaff before the wind,
And let the angel of the LORD chase them.
6 Let their way be dark and slippery,
And let the angel of the LORD pursue them.
7 For without cause they have hidden their net for me in a pit,
Which they have dug without cause for my life.
8 Let destruction come upon him unexpectedly,
And let his net that he has hidden catch himself;
Into that very destruction let him fall.
- Lord, defend me!
- Speak on my behalf and fight for me.
- When my enemies attack, my power is not enough to push them back.
- Come in, armed and dangerous, and defend me against my attackers!
- Stop those who would destroy me, and give me the peace of knowing that You are my salvation.
- Blow away the chaff that seeks to hold me back.
- Blind them and make their feet slip on their path.
- They seek my life with traps and pits along the way.
- Let them fall in their own traps and fail.
- I trust in You, O Lord. Save me!
9 And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD;Psalm 34:9-10
It shall rejoice in His salvation.
10 All my bones shall say,
“LORD, who is like You,
Delivering the poor from him who is too strong for him,
Yes, the poor and the needy from him who plunders him?”
- In my gratitude and overwhelmed with awe, I will be joyful and rejoice in You, O LORD!
- There is no one like You. You are incomparable, without equal.
- My bones will thank You, my flesh will lift up Your name.
- You have delivered the needy from their poverty, the weak from their oppressors, and the needy from the plunderers.
- You are my champion, and the Savior of the weak. I praise You and give You glorious honor, befitting a King.