11 Fierce witnesses rise up;Psalm 35:11-14
They ask me things that I do not know.
12 They reward me evil for good,
To the sorrow of my soul.
13 But as for me, when they were sick,
My clothing was sackcloth;
I humbled myself with fasting;
And my prayer would return to my own heart.
14 I paced about as though he were my friend or brother;
I bowed down heavily, as one who mourns for his mother.
- Even when I strive to be holy and shun sin, my enemies accuse be falsely.
- They testify with passion against me, and I cannot answer them for I am innocent.
- They punish me for sins I have not committed.
- I am sorrowful and pained in my soul.
- When my friends or even my enemies are sick, I pray for them and mourn with them in their loss.
- I fast for the good of all people, but my prayers for them are unanswered in my time of affliction.
- I worried, pacing over the floor as their lives were in peril, bowing down and crying out on their behalf.
- Yet my compassion is unrequited and no one returns my love and care back to me.
15 But in my adversity they rejoiced
And gathered together;
Attackers gathered against me,
And I did not know it;
They tore at me and did not cease;
16 With ungodly mockers at feasts
They gnashed at me with their teeth.
17 Lord, how long will You look on?Psalm 35:15-18
Rescue me from their destructions,
My precious life from the lions.
18 I will give You thanks in the great assembly;
I will praise You among many people.
- It gets worse, God.
- Not only do they accuse me and refuse to pray for me, they also rejoice over my pain.
- They gather together to attack me behind my back.
- They tried without fail to tear me down and tear me apart.
- They mock at my trials and troubles, and cheer when I seem to lose. They even bite at me and make faces when they see me.
- I am a curse in their mouth and a laugh from their belly in my pain.
- Lord, will you ignore my bad treatment forever? How long will You allow me to suffer this indignity and suffering?
- Rescue me, O LORD, from these wild animals, seeking to tear me limb from limb.
- They would destroy me, and I cannot survive their attacks much longer.
- I will give You thanks before the assembly of my godly brothers and sisters, and praise You among even the heathens.
- However, I cannot praise You if I am dead. Save me, Lord, and I will praise You greatly with my mouth and from my heart.
- In my distress, I know You are there and You will answer my prayer!