9 But You have cast us off and put us to shame,
And You do not go out with our armies.
10 You make us turn back from the enemy,
And those who hate us have taken spoil for themselves.
11 You have given us up like sheep intended for food,
And have scattered us among the nations.
12 You sell Your people for next to nothing,
And are not enriched by selling them.
- I am alone and ashamed when I cannot sense Your presence.
- Lord, I know my sin separates me from You.
- My enemies prevail over me.
- My good are taken as spoil.
- My enemies feed on my flesh and I am scattered among enemies, away from my people.
- I feel as though I have been sold into slavery and serve a taskmaster.
- All this comes upon me because of my own sin!
13 You make us a reproach to our neighbors,
A scorn and a derision to those all around us.
14 You make us a byword among the nations,
A shaking of the head among the peoples.
15 My dishonor is continually before me,
And the shame of my face has covered me,
16 Because of the voice of him who reproaches and reviles,
Because of the enemy and the avenger.
- My friends all around me mock me for my sinfulness.
- People use my name as a joke. I am dishonored by anyone who sees me.
- Shame is my garment and scorn is my song.
- My enemies and the avenger of my sin speak harshly to me and I hide in my shame.
- Help me, O LORD! Cleanse me of my sin.
- Forgive my iniquity.
- Wash the slate clean. I need restoration and healing.
- Hear my confession and my cry of repentance. End this torment, O God, and heal me.
- I cannot continue on without You!