1 Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck.
2 I sink in deep mire,
Where there is no standing;
I have come into deep waters,
Where the floods overflow me.
3 I am weary with my crying;
My throat is dry;
My eyes fail while I wait for my God.
- Lord, I am in big trouble. I feel like I am drowning.
- My feet are stuck in deep mud. I feel like I am sinking in the mud, with no ability to stand.
- It is as if a flood comes over my head and I have cried until I have no more tears.
- I have called unto You until my throat hurts. I cannot even see through my swollen eyes.
4 Those who hate me without a cause
Are more than the hairs of my head;
They are mighty who would destroy me,
Being my enemies wrongfully;
Though I have stolen nothing,
I still must restore it.
- I am vastly outnumbered by my enemies. People that I do not even know hate me.
- They are very strong, and I do not even know my sin against them.
- The accuse me of stealing I know not what, and they ask for vengeance against me. What on earth have I done to offend these enemies?
5 O God, You know my foolishness;
And my sins are not hidden from You.
6 Let not those who wait for You, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed because of me;
Let not those who seek You be confounded because of me, O God of Israel.
7 Because for Your sake I have borne reproach;
Shame has covered my face.
8 I have become a stranger to my brothers,
And an alien to my mother’s children;
9 Because zeal for Your house has eaten me up,
And the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me.
10 When I wept and chastened my soul with fasting,
That became my reproach.
11 I also made sackcloth my garment;
I became a byword to them.
12 Those who sit in the gate speak against me,
And I am the song of the drunkards.
- Lord, You know me. You see my every sin. Nothing is hidden from You.
- Keep me from sin and let me increase the hope of those who believe in You.
- I have been insulted, reproached, and shamed for Your name’s sake.
- I have been alienated and ignored. My own family has disowned me.
- My desire for You, my commitment to Your kingdom has cost me much. I cannot stand to take my thoughts to anything else but You.
- Those who do not bless You curse me also.
- I have fasted and I have mourned over the condition of the world and I have been ostracized by those who need You the most.
- Drunks rage against me and leaders marginalize me, but I will keep my zeal for You and I will declare You, even if it costs me my life.
- All I ask is that You empower me and keep me in the midst of my opposition and oppression by the enemies of Your kingdom. Keep me in the midst of the fray. Lead me in the fight, and I will follow You!