1 Truly God is good to Israel,
To such as are pure in heart.
2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
My steps had nearly slipped.
3 For I was envious of the boastful,
When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
- Lord, You are good to Your people, there is no doubt.
- Keep my heart pure and allow me to walk in a way that pleases You.
- Sometimes I feel like my feet are slipping and I about to stumble off the path You have set for me.
- Help me to keep my eyes on You. Help me to not look at what others have or what they can do, and simply trust You for what I need and what I should have.
- Help me to be content in what You provide for me, which is always enough, and more than enough.
4 For there are no pangs in their death,
But their strength is firm.
5 They are not in trouble as other men,
Nor are they plagued like other men.
6 Therefore pride serves as their necklace;
Violence covers them like a garment.
7 Their eyes bulge with abundance;
They have more than heart could wish.
8 They scoff and speak wickedly concerning oppression;
They speak loftily.
9 They set their mouth against the heavens,
And their tongue walks through the earth.
- Sometimes I wonder how evil men and women can have such prosperity and wealth.
- I wonder why they do not die torturous deaths or suffer from disease.
- They seem to be carefree and without any issues in their lives.
- However, I also notice their arrogance and pride, which can bring violence to their household.
- These evil men should not speak with such careless thought, and should never deny Your deity and power, yet they do.
- God, help them to see the truth of Who You are as the King of the earth, and help me not to worry about them so much.
- Help me trust in You alone. I will trust in You!
10 Therefore his people return here,
And waters of a full cup are drained by them.
11 And they say, “How does God know?
And is there knowledge in the Most High?”
12 Behold, these are the ungodly,
Who are always at ease;
They increase in riches.
13 Surely I have cleansed my heart in vain,
And washed my hands in innocence.
14 For all day long I have been plagued,
And chastened every morning.
- These ungodly people eat and drink to excess. They deny the existence of God and definitely deny the authority of God to know all things.
- They sit at ease, and believe they are untouchable and invincible.
- Somehow, they find ways to be rich and without care, even though their lives are full of sin.
- There are times, O LORD, when I wonder if my worship and my faithfulness are in vain.
- Forgive me for feeling this way, but my humanity takes me down that foolish road once in a while.
- I am plagued with loss and sickness, and I feel as if You chasten me every morning.
- Bless me, Lord, when You deem it fitting and appropriate, and help me to live faithfully when it is not.
- I long to please You and nothing else will take precedence over that.
Artwork from https://img.heartlight.org/overlazy/creations/2174.jpg