15 If I had said, “I will speak thus,”
Behold, I would have been untrue to the generation of Your children.
16 When I thought how to understand this,
It was too painful for me—
17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God;
Then I understood their end.
18 Surely You set them in slippery places;
You cast them down to destruction.
19 Oh, how they are brought to desolation, as in a moment!
They are utterly consumed with terrors.
20 As a dream when one awakes,
So, Lord, when You awake,
You shall despise their image.
- My angst at the prosperity of the wicked is not right.
- Forgive me, O LORD, for feeling unsettled at their success, their presumption.
- When I seek Your face, I understand that their end will not be pleasant.
- Lord, thwart the plans of the evil ones. Set their feet on slippery spots.
- Cast them down, but not to be killed. No, rather take away their ease of gaining riches so that they see their need for You.
- Bring terror on them and help them see their plight before their eyes.
- Lord, show them Your hot displeasure at their sinfulness.
21 Thus my heart was grieved,
And I was vexed in my mind.
22 I was so foolish and ignorant;
I was like a beast before You.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You hold me by my right hand.
24 You will guide me with Your counsel,
And afterward receive me to glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
26 My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
27 For indeed, those who are far from You shall perish;
You have destroyed all those who desert You for harlotry.
28 But it is good for me to draw near to God;
I have put my trust in the Lord GOD,
That I may declare all Your works.
- I was vexed at their riches and their appetites.
- I was like a beast pacing before You.
- Yet, in Your mercy, I need Your hand to guide me and to steady me.
- Give me advice that I may follow You.
- Receive me into Your presence to know You.
- I have no one but You to defend me and to bless me.
- I long for You. My humanity and my emotions fail me, but You are my strength.
- You are the answer to my prayers, the provision for my need, the strength in my soul.
- The wicked will perish, and the unfaithful will be destroyed, but I will trust in You.
- I draw near to you and declare You to all the world.
- Walk with me and show me Your ways, and I will be whole.