Thanksgiving for God’s Righteous Judgment
To the Chief Musician. Set to “Do Not Destroy.” a Psalm of Asaph. A Song.
1 We give thanks to You, O God, we give thanks!
For Your wondrous works declare that Your name is near.
2 “When I choose the proper time,
I will judge uprightly.
3 The earth and all its inhabitants are dissolved;
I set up its pillars firmly.
- Lord, I give You thanks and glorify Your name!
- All of the works of God declare Your presence and Your power.
- You have the right to choose the time, the place, the circumstances under which You will judge the earth and all its people.
- You have that right and You are truly the Creator and Lord of all.
4 “I said to the boastful, ‘Do not deal boastfully,’
And to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up the horn.
5 Do not lift up your horn on high;
Do not speak with a stiff neck.’ ”
6 For exaltation comes neither from the east
Nor from the west nor from the south.
7 But God is the Judge:
He puts down one,
And exalts another.
8 For in the hand of the LORD there is a cup,
And the wine is red;
It is fully mixed, and He pours it out;
Surely its dregs shall all the wicked of the earth
Drain and drink down.
- Lord, You command the wicked and the proud. You order and they obey.
- You command the wicked to loose the stiff neck and cease to lift up their own cause.
- Exaltation is not attainable according to one’s skill or ability.
- Advancement is not just about hard work.
- Promotion comes from the Lord, the lifter of one’s head.
- You are the judge, O LORD.
- You lift up one and put down another.
- Your cup is full of vengeance, mixed with the wine of justice.
- The wicked drain it and drink it until there is none left.
- You will annihilate the wicked.
- Stand for right, O God, and protect Your cause. You are sovereign and holy.
9 But I will declare forever,
I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
10 “All the horns of the wicked I will also cut off,
But the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.”
- I will declare Your greatness and sing praise unto You.
- You will destroy the works of the wicked. You will cut off their power, and keep them under Your heel.
- You are the One Who lifts up the righteous.
- You are the righteous judge and the powerful champion of the people of God.