The Majesty of God in Judgment
To the Chief Musician. On Stringed Instruments. A Psalm of Asaph. A Song.
1 In Judah God is known; His name is great in Israel.
2 In Salem also is His tabernacle,
And His dwelling place in Zion.
3 There He broke the arrows of the bow,
The shield and sword of battle.
- Lord, You are famous in the region and in the nation. You are known throughout the earth, among every nation and people.
- You have done great exploits, and the Bible tells of Your great conquests.
- I pause to think of Your greatness and Your power over the earth.
4 You are more glorious and excellent
Than the mountains of prey.
5 The stouthearted were plundered;
They have sunk into their sleep;
And none of the mighty men have found the use of their hands.
6 At Your rebuke, O God of Jacob,
Both the chariot and horse were cast into a dead sleep.
7 You, Yourself, are to be feared;
And who may stand in Your presence
When once You are angry?
8 You caused judgment to be heard from heaven;
The earth feared and was still,
9 When God arose to judgment,
To deliver all the oppressed of the earth.
- Your glory outshines all others.
- Your excellence exceeds anyone’s.
- You rise above Your enemies like and eagle above its prey.
- Strong men fall before You as if in a sleep.
- They could not even lift their hands to defend against You.
- You put them in awe and they were dumbfounded.
- Just a word from You and great armies are stopped in their tracks. The chariot cannot ride and the horse cannot run. They fall like they have passed out from Your glory.
- You are fearful and awe-inspiring. No one can even raise up their head in Your presence.
- Your anger paralyzes anyone in Your path.
- Your judgment sounded like thunder from the heaven, and all the earth stood still in its tracks.
- When You arise, every enemy is paralyzed, and the oppressed are set free.
- I meditate on Your power and greatness, Your prowess in war, Your awesome countenance, Your fearful look and word.
10 Surely the wrath of man shall praise You;
With the remainder of wrath You shall gird Yourself.
11 Make vows to the LORD your God, and pay them;
Let all who are around Him bring presents to Him who ought to be feared.
12 He shall cut off the spirit of princes;
He is awesome to the kings of the earth.
- Lord, help Your enemies to see Your superiority and bow before You. Let all of us, Your people, see Your greatness even more so as You take vengeance on Your enemies.
- Let our praise rise up and gird You with glory, as the Warrior King that You are.
- I will make a vow to serve and worship You, O LORD, and I will pay that vow.
- I offer my humble gifts to You as an offering.
- Help me to serve You well and to glorify Your name in all that I do.
- I praise You for conquering the enemies of Your kingdom and Your people.
- You are awesome among kings and princes. You are the mighty God, the Lord, the Great One. Be glorified in me!
Artwork from https://i1.wp.com/www.chrisgribble.com/wp-content/fog_body.jpg?fit=1000%2C669&ssl=1