56 Yet they tested and provoked the Most High God,
And did not keep His testimonies,
57 But turned back and acted unfaithfully like their fathers;
They were turned aside like a deceitful bow.
58 For they provoked Him to anger with their high places,
And moved Him to jealousy with their carved images.
59 When God heard this, He was furious,
And greatly abhorred Israel,
60 So that He forsook the tabernacle of Shiloh,
The tent He had placed among men,
61 And delivered His strength into captivity,
And His glory into the enemy’s hand.
62 He also gave His people over to the sword,
And was furious with His inheritance.
63 The fire consumed their young men,
And their maidens were not given in marriage.
64 Their priests fell by the sword,
And their widows made no lamentation.
- The people of God who were rescued by Your mighty hand then turned away from You, O LORD. They provoked You and acted unfaithfully.
- Even after Your deliverance of them from Egypt and Your provision of the Promised Land, they began to worship false Gods. Your anger toward them was warranted and righteous.
- Their place of worship was desolate, and their strong men were carried into captivity by heathen nations.
- Their children died without heirs, and their priests fell by the sword, and no one even had strength to weep.
- Lord, help me to continually recognize You as my deliverer and my provider. Help me to never turn my heart toward a false god or forget You as my source and strength!
65 Then the Lord awoke as from sleep,
Like a mighty man who shouts because of wine.
66 And He beat back His enemies;
He put them to a perpetual reproach.
- Lord, even though Your people rejected You, You awoke and brought them back from their captivity.
- You beat the opponents of Israel and You made them a laughing stock among the nations.
- You did not leave Your people in bondage again, but delivered them from their sin-induced captivity.
- Deliver me today and keep me from trouble, I pray.
67 Moreover He rejected the tent of Joseph,
And did not choose the tribe of Ephraim,
68 But chose the tribe of Judah,
Mount Zion which He loved.
69 And He built His sanctuary like the heights,
Like the earth which He has established forever.
70 He also chose David His servant,
And took him from the sheepfolds;
71 From following the ewes that had young He brought him,
To shepherd Jacob His people,
And Israel His inheritance.
72 So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart,
And guided them by the skillfulness of his hands.
- Just as the birthright passed from Esau to Jacob, and then from Jacob to Reuben, and was taken from Reuben and given to Joseph, it then was taken from Joseph and the birthright came through Judah instead.
- The Lord favors who He will, and gives honor to those who serve Him, regardless of tradition or procedures of man.
- Lord, use me for Your glory. Build Your habitation within me.
- Take me from my lowly state and make me Your servant.
- Let me lead others to You and build them up in their faith.
- Let me serve You with integrity and skill, that I may glorify You in all that I do.
- I honor You, my Lord, and I will learn from the mistakes of my ancestors. I will rise above the failures of the past and become a shining light and example to all who will follow me.
- Thank you for allowing me to follow You and serve You. Your grace is amazing!