The Blessedness of Dwelling in the House of God
To the Chief Musician. On An Instrument of Gath. A Psalm of the Sons of Korah.
1 How lovely is Your tabernacle,
O Lord of hosts!
2 My soul longs, yes, even faints
For the courts of the Lord;
My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.
3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
And the swallow a nest for herself,
Where she may lay her young—
Even Your altars, O Lord of hosts,
My King and my God.
4 Blessed are those who dwell in Your house;
They will still be praising You.
- Lord, I love Your presence and Your house. It is joyful to be in Your presence.
- My very being longs to be in Your courts, connected with Your presence.
- My heart, my humanity, cry out for You, O God, Living and Powerful.
- You care for the sparrow and the rest of the earth. Your care for the cosmos is our only salvation.
- I totally long for Your altars, the place where Your presence is found.
- You are the King of the earth, and the God of the universe.
- We are blessed to have You as the Lord of all that we are.
- In Your house we find all that we need.
- All Your people must praise You. There is no other way!
- I pause and think of Your powerful Lordship and Your faithful love to us.
5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
Whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
6 As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
They make it a spring;
The rain also covers it with pools.
7 They go from strength to strength;
Each one appears before God in Zion.
8 O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;
Give ear, O God of Jacob!
- My strength comes from You and You alone. Let me see and experience Your power every day.
- I long to go where You are and live in Your glory.
- Please send us rain for our thirst, and provide food for our hunger.
- Everywhere I go, You show Your strength.
- I long to stand before You in all places at all times.
- Hear my prayer! Guide my steps. Keep me in Your protection.
- I meditate on Your faithfulness.
9 O God, behold our shield,
And look upon the face of Your anointed.
10 For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
11 For the Lord God is a sun and shield;
The Lord will give grace and glory;
No good thing will He withhold
From those who walk uprightly.
12 O Lord of hosts,
Blessed is the man who trusts in You!
- Lord, make my shield strong. Anoint me and make me powerful by Your Spirit.
- A day with You, a day in Your house, is better that a thousand in another place.
- Please, let me just hold the door at your house. I will welcome the people of God into Your house. I will be a humble servant before You. The most lavish dwelling of a worldly people, cannot compare to the threshold of the house of God.
- Lord, protect me from the sun and the defenses of my enemies.
- Let Your light shine on me, and protect me with Your shield.
- Withhold nothing from me, but give me everything You have to offer.
- I trust in You completely, for there is no one that can do what You can do.
- Lead me and I will follow, great God of everything!