The Eternity of God, and Man’s Frailty
A Prayer Of Moses the Man of God.
1 LORD, You have been our dwelling place in all generations.
2 Before the mountains were brought forth,
Or ever You had formed the earth and the world,
Even from everlasting to everlasting, You are God.
- Lord, I find solace and safety in Your presence.
- Your eternal refuge brings me comfort in times of trouble or need.
- You formed me and this earth.
- Your everlasting reign is supreme, and I trust You above all others.
3 You turn man to destruction,
And say, “Return, O children of men.”
4 For a thousand years in Your sight
Are like yesterday when it is past,
And like a watch in the night.
5 You carry them away like a flood;
They are like a sleep.
In the morning they are like grass which grows up:
6 In the morning it flourishes and grows up;
In the evening it is cut down and withers.
7 For we have been consumed by Your anger,
And by Your wrath we are terrified.
8 You have set our iniquities before You,
Our secret sins in the light of Your countenance.
9 For all our days have passed away in Your wrath;
We finish our years like a sigh.
10 The days of our lives are seventy years;
And if by reason of strength they are eighty years,
Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow;
For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.
11 Who knows the power of Your anger?
For as the fear of You, so is Your wrath.
12 So teach us to number our days,
That we may gain a heart of wisdom.
- Lord, You are the Lord of the whole earth. No one rivals Your authority or might.
- Man is temporal and frail. We sin and disobey, even though it is obvious that You are God.
- Forgive us for our failures, and turn back Your wrath.
- We are cut off and nearing death. Only Your mercy will spare us. Only Your grace will make us whole again.
- You span a thousand years in a moment, but our life seems to drag on torturously.
- We need You to see us through Your eyes of love and forgive our transgressions before we die.
13 Return, O LORD!
And have compassion on Your servants.
14 Oh, satisfy us early with Your mercy,
That we may rejoice and be glad all our days!
15 Make us glad according to the days in which You have afflicted us,
The years in which we have seen evil.
16 Let Your work appear to Your servants,
And Your glory to their children.
17 And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us,
And establish the work of our hands for us;
Yes, establish the work of our hands.
- Turn Your heart toward us again, O LORD!
- We cannot weather Your wrath for much longer.
- Show us compassion, and satisfy us with Your lovingkindness.
- We will rejoice in You.
- Restore the years we have lost and let us be glad in the days we have left.
- Let us see Your hands at work among us, building back what we lost and restoring the lost glory of Your grace.
- Let Your beauty shine through us once more, and let Your handiwork be established in our lives.
- Let what we do from this day forward stand because it glorifies You.
- You deserve our best, our holiness, our first. You are the glory of our lives!