14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the LORD,
And let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15 Let them be continually before the LORD,
That He may cut off the memory of them from the earth;
16 Because he did not remember to show mercy,
But persecuted the poor and needy man,
That he might even slay the broken in heart.
17 As he loved cursing, so let it come to him;
As he did not delight in blessing, so let it be far from him.
18 As he clothed himself with cursing as with his garment,
So let it enter his body like water,
And like oil into his bones.
19 Let it be to him like the garment which covers him,
And for a belt with which he girds himself continually.
20 Let this be the LORD’s reward to my accusers,
And to those who speak evil against my person.
- Lord, let the guilt of all my enemies and their extended families be put on display in the court of heaven.
- Once they are declared guilty, blot their memory from the earth, and judge them completely.
- They did not show mercy, so show them none.
- They persecuted, so show them persecution.
- Let their curses return upon them, and withhold blessing from them since they have not blessed another.
- My enemy, the devil and all his angels, be judged and cursed in compensation for their own unrighteous acts. Let him feel the curses of his mouth come back upon him, drowning him in their heaviness.
- Let my enemy wear the heaviness of his own sinfulness as a judgment for his evil ways toward me, Your child, O LORD!
21 But You, O GOD the Lord,
Deal with me for Your name’s sake;
Because Your mercy is good, deliver me.
22 For I am poor and needy,
And my heart is wounded within me.
23 I am gone like a shadow when it lengthens;
I am shaken off like a locust.
24 My knees are weak through fasting,
And my flesh is feeble from lack of fatness.
25 I also have become a reproach to them;
When they look at me, they shake their heads.
- Lord, preserve me in the midst of this evil world.
- Remember me for your name’s sake.
- You are merciful, and I pray that You will deliver me.
- My wounds are great, and I feel as if my life is fading away.
- I am as weak as an insect and my flesh is not strong.
- I am a reproach among others, but I trust in You!
26 Help me, O LORD my God!
Oh, save me according to Your mercy,
27 That they may know that this is Your hand—
That You, LORD, have done it!
28 Let them curse, but You bless;
When they arise, let them be ashamed,
But let Your servant rejoice.
29 Let my accusers be clothed with shame,
And let them cover themselves with their own disgrace as with a mantle.
- Help me! I cannot fight this fight by myself.
- Save me by Your mercy so that all the world will know that You are my Deliverer.
- Even when they curse me, I long for You to bless me.
- Make them fail in all their efforts.
- Make them ashamed while I rejoice.
- They will be a disgrace and will wear it as a garment.
30 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth;
Yes, I will praise Him among the multitude.
31 For He shall stand at the right hand of the poor,
To save him from those who condemn him.
- Lord, I will shout out my praise. I will yell to the top of my lungs of Your greatness.
- I will demonstrate Your greatness among the masses.
- You are the Savior of the weak, the Provider for the poor, the Healer for the sick.
- You will justify me when I am condemned. You will make me holy when I have sinned.
- Thank You for Your mercy.