The Majesty and Condescension of God
1 Praise the LORD!
Praise, O servants of the LORD,
Praise the name of the LORD!
2 Blessed be the name of the LORD
From this time forth and forevermore!
3 From the rising of the sun to its going down
The LORD’s name is to be praised.
- I will praise You, Lord. You are my Master and I am Your servant. I will praise You and Your name for You are great and so is Your name.
- I will bless Your name with my mouth and my actions both now and forevermore.
- I will praise You in the morning and in the evening, and often in between.
- Your name is to be praised!
4 The LORD is high above all nations,
His glory above the heavens.
5 Who is like the LORD our God,
Who dwells on high,
6 Who humbles Himself to behold
The things that are in the heavens and in the earth?
- You are high above the earth, transcendent in Your splendor.
- You are not dirtied by the sinfulness of men.
- You dwell in the heavens, and there is no one like You, O LORD.
- Your greatness surpasses all others and You are holy and high.
- How can I even pray to You or make my requests known to You?
- You graciously look upon us and hear our prayers. You recognize us in our pitiful existence and have mercy on us.
- Thank You, O LORD, for caring for us.
7 He raises the poor out of the dust,
And lifts the needy out of the ash heap,
8 That He may seat him with princes—
With the princes of His people.
9 He grants the barren woman a home,
Like a joyful mother of children.
Praise the LORD!
- You pick us up out of our sorrow and wretchedness.
- You pull our face up from the dust, and rescue us from the ash heap in our poverty.
- You seat us with dignitaries and officials, even when we are not worthy.
- You give the woman unable to have children a home of love and warmth.
- You put children into her life as if she had her own.
- You give us what we cannot find on our own, and You make us joyful in the process.
- Your love and care is undeserved, yet You offer it to us gladly and willingly.
- Thank You, O God!