The LORD The Defense of His People
A Song of Ascents. Of David.
1 “If it had not been the LORD who was on our side,”
Let Israel now say—
2 “If it had not been the LORD who was on our side,
When men rose up against us,
3 Then they would have swallowed us alive,
When their wrath was kindled against us;
4 Then the waters would have overwhelmed us,
The stream would have gone over our soul;
5 Then the swollen waters
Would have gone over our soul.”
- Lord, I have no hope but in You.
- If You were not my help and refuge, I would die.
- People rise up in opposition to me and seek to destroy me, my ministry, my life.
- They seek my harm for no good reason.
- However, I know that You are with me.
- There are days that a flood of emotions and fear try to drown me.
- I feel overwhelmed, but I do not give in, because You are my source.
- O LORD, stand by me in my moments of trouble, and deliver me daily from my enemies.
6 Blessed be the LORD,
Who has not given us as prey to their teeth.
7 Our soul has escaped as a bird from the snare of the fowlers;
The snare is broken, and we have escaped.
8 Our help is in the name of the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.
- I will bless You, O LORD, for Your protection of my life.
- My enemies cannot overwhelm me.
- Their teeth will not chew me up, and their traps will not hold me.
- I am not strong, but You are strong within me.
- Your power breaks every chain, and I escape as free as a bird.
- Deliver me from all harm, and overpower my enemies when they attack.
- Be my help at all times. You are the Creator, the Sustainer, of the earth.
- Sustain my life and set my going straight.
- I long to follow You, and I have faith that You will watch over me as You do all the earth.
- Thank You for Your protection and care of my life.