Prayer for Safekeeping from Wickedness
A Psalm of David.
1 LORD, I cry out to You;
Make haste to me!
Give ear to my voice when I cry out to You.
2 Let my prayer be set before You as incense,
The lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice.
3 Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth;
Keep watch over the door of my lips.
4 Do not incline my heart to any evil thing,
To practice wicked works
With men who work iniquity;
And do not let me eat of their delicacies.
- Lord, my prayers are lifted up to You. I need You, O LORD!
- Come to me quickly and hear my cries. I am desperate for a move of God in my life.
- I bring You worship that wafts into the heavens as holy incense in a temple.
- I sacrifice my praise as I lift up my hands.
- I know I cannot ask anything without thanking You for Your blessings of the past.
- Guard my mouth, that I would not say anything that is evil. I wish never to speak ill of You, O my God.
- Keep me from evil intentions and keep my mouth pure, my heart pure, and my actions pure.
- Warn me when evil people try to be my friends. Guard me from those wicked associations that could lead me down a path of destruction.
- I do not even want to sit a the table with evil men, for they can lead me astray.
5 Let the righteous strike me;
It shall be a kindness.
And let him rebuke me;
It shall be as excellent oil;
Let my head not refuse it.
For still my prayer is against the deeds of the wicked.
6 Their judges are overthrown by the sides of the cliff,
And they hear my words, for they are sweet.
7 Our bones are scattered at the mouth of the grave,
As when one plows and breaks up the earth.
8 But my eyes are upon You, O GOD the Lord;
In You I take refuge;
Do not leave my soul destitute.
9 Keep me from the snares they have laid for me,
And from the traps of the workers of iniquity.
10 Let the wicked fall into their own nets,
While I escape safely.
- However, O LORD, let my righteous friends speak honest critique to me.
- Help me to receive their advice, even when it seems harsh.
- I will consider it a kindness, a wound of love, like oil poured over my head to anoint me and restore me when I am right with God.
- My prayers go up against the works of the wicked. They seek to overthrow righteous rule. They attempt to destroy us and shame our bones by scattering us over the graves of the dead to defile us.
- I will keep my eyes upon You, O LORD.
- I will take refuge in Your strength.
- Keep me from lack or death.
- Do not allow my enemies to trap me like an animal.
- Let their traps be for their own feet, but give me safe passage through them all.
- I believe in You, Lord. Keep me safe in Your precious presence forever!