A Prayer for Guidance
To the Chief Musician. With Flutes. A Psalm of David.
1 Give ear to my words, O LORD,Psalm 5:1-3
Consider my meditation.
2 Give heed to the voice of my cry,
My King and my God,
For to You I will pray.
3 My voice You shall hear in the morning, O LORD;
In the morning I will direct it to You,
And I will look up.
- Hear my prayer, O Lord.
- Hear my words, my meditations, my cry.
- I acknowledge You as Lord, King, God of all the earth and of my soul.
- To You only will I pray. I know that You will hear me.
- I will call unto You in the morning. I will speak with You first, before all other men and women; I will seek You early, before all other things; I will cast my view upward, above the distractions of the earth, into Your heavenly abode.
4 For You are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness,
Nor shall evil dwell with You.
5 The boastful shall not stand in Your sight;
You hate all workers of iniquity.
6 You shall destroy those who speak falsehood;
The LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
7 But as for me, I will come into Your house in the multitude of Your mercy;Psalm 5:4-8
In fear of You I will worship toward Your holy temple.
8 Lead me, O LORD, in Your righteousness because of my enemies;
Make Your way straight before my face.
- You are a holy God, not finding pleasure in evil.
- Nothing unholy or wicked will dwell in Your presence.
- You will not entertain wickedness, evil, arrogance, iniquity, lies, murder, or deceit.
- I will worship You in Your mercy in Your house. I will strive not to bring the sinful things You abhor into Your presence.
- I desire holiness, that I may see you and please You. However, when I sin, I will call upon You for forgiveness and cleansing.
- I long to be holy because You are holy.
- Lead me, O God, and show me Your righteousness.
- My enemies would destroy me, but You will keep me.
- Light up Your path before me so I can see and follow You.
- I long for Your presence and Your protection. Thank You for your mercy, grace, love, and care.
9 For there is no faithfulness in their mouth;
Their inward part is destruction;
Their throat is an open tomb;
They flatter with their tongue.
10 Pronounce them guilty, O God!
Let them fall by their own counsels;
Cast them out in the multitude of their transgressions,
For they have rebelled against You.
11 But let all those rejoice who put their trust in You;Psalm 5:9-12
Let them ever shout for joy, because You defend them;
Let those also who love Your name
Be joyful in You.
12 For You, O LORD, will bless the righteous;
With favor You will surround him as with a shield.
- My enemies are not faithful to You or to me.
- They may look good in their outward appearance, but they are dead and deadly inside.
- They flatter and tempt, but they lead to death.
- Help me, Lord to recognize the evil within those who seek my harm
- Drop the gavel and declare them guilty, O Lord, and open my eyes to see and discern their futility.
- Let their own words and schemes bring about their demise.
- I pray for their salvation, Lord, but I know their evil will bring about their destruction.
- I am not their judge, but their actions bring Your judgment upon them.
- Let Your discipline show them their error and bring them to salvation before they are utterly destroyed.
- Their rebellion is great, and their punishment will be great, but I know Your mercy is greater, and Your grace is limitless.
- Thank You that the righteous may rejoice when they trust in You.
- I shout for joy, I rejoice in my spirit, when I think of Your strength that is seen when You defend me from my enemies.
- Your greatness saves me and I am glad.
- Your love is deeper than the ocean, and I love You with all my being. I sense Your joy and I am glad.
- In You, O Lord, I am at ease, joyful, defended, favored, and protected.
- You bless me, You protect me. You are my righteousness and my shield. You are the One Who shows me Your great favor. I love You, Lord!