1 My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?
Why are You so far from helping Me,
And from the words of My groaning?
2 O My God, I cry in the daytime, but You do not hear;
And in the night season, and am not silent.
3 But You are holy,Psalm 22:1-5
Enthroned in the praises of Israel.
4 Our fathers trusted in You;
They trusted, and You delivered them.
5 They cried to You, and were delivered;
They trusted in You, and were not ashamed.
- Lord, why do I feel alone? Why do You seem an eternity away from me?
- Do You even hear when I call You today? My soul groans in agony, longing for Your reply.
- I weep day and night, I listen for Your response, but it seems You do not hear me!
- I have lifted up my voice constantly, but the heavens seem silent.
- Where are You, God of mine?
- Yet I will declare You holy, sitting on Your throne. Even when I cannot see You or hear You, I know You are there.
- My ancestors trust You to be present, Yahweh-Shammah, The LORD is there.
- In there time of deepest need, You were there, and You are here with me.
- I trust You and I know that You will deliver me
- When I cry out with my voice from my heart, I know that You will deliver me.
- I know that my trust in You will be validated, and I will not be ashamed.
- What You did for my fathers, You will do for me. You are a faithful and consistent God.
- Give me a sign, speak to my heart, show me Your favor, for I wait on You.
6 But I am a worm, and no man;
A reproach of men, and despised by the people.
7 All those who see Me ridicule Me;
They shoot out the lip, they shake the head, saying,
8 “He trusted in the LORD, let Him rescue Him;
Let Him deliver Him, since He delights in Him!”
9 But You are He who took Me out of the womb;Psalm 22:6-11
You made Me trust while on My mother’s breasts.
10 I was cast upon You from birth.
From My mother’s womb
You have been My God.
11 Be not far from Me,
For trouble is near;
For there is none to help.
- I am just a bug or a worm in the sight of men and women. I am lowly, disregarded, disrespected, pitied.
- No one sees me as a human being.
- I am reproached, even hated, despised by my own people.
- They mock me, shaking their heads and speaking of my presumed sin, since I am so desperate in my circumstances.
- They speak sarcastically of my ability to be helped, mocking me as I call on You, sneering at the possibility that God could love me and help me.
- They try to drive me in the ground.
- BUT, You are my God who brought me into this world.
- You taught me as an infant in my mother’s arms, as she fed me from Your bounty.
- You took me into Your care the moment I was born. From time eternal, You have been my God.
- Be near me, Lord, closer than the trouble that is all around me.
- Stand between my soul and the dangers around me.
- I have no one else upon whom I may call. Be my source, be my rescue, be my God.
12 Many bulls have surrounded Me;
Strong bulls of Bashan have encircled Me.
13 They gape at Me with their mouths,
Like a raging and roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water,
And all My bones are out of joint;
My heart is like wax;
It has melted within Me.
15 My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
And My tongue clings to My jaws;
You have brought Me to the dust of death.
16 For dogs have surrounded Me;
The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me.
They pierced My hands and My feet;
17 I can count all My bones.
They look and stare at Me.
18 They divide My garments among them,
And for My clothing they cast lots.
- Bulls and lions surround me. They open their mouths as if to devour me. They rage and intimidate.
- My soul is poured out like water. I feel as though I cannot move, as if all my legs and arms are broken and no longer work.
- My heart, my courage, my will has melted within me. I am as weak as a broken pot sitting in the street to be trampled under foot.
- I am dehydrated and near death. There is no vitality in my person. I near death and see no end to this perilous journey toward the grave.
- Dogs surround me to tear my flesh. Evil people join them and seek to stab me.
- I am so emaciated that my enemies can count my ribs, staring at me in disdain.
- They take my clothes and divide them up, for they say, “He no longer needs them. He is at death’s door!”
- I know, my Savior, my Lord, that this is how You felt on the day You hung on the cross. You identify with me. You hung there for me.
- Therefore, I have hope in You. You paid this price once for me, and I have joy in the midst of my sorrow knowing that You will keep me in my time of trouble.
- I lay my weak existence, my troubled present, at Your feet. Hear me, save me, lift me up, for I am lost without You.