NOTES FROM A SERMON PRESENTED BY DR. GREG SLOOP AT THE KANNAPOLIS CHURCH OF GOD. FOR VIDEO OF SERVICES, GO TO THE CHURCH WEBSITE, HTTP://WWW.KCOG.ORG, AND CLICK ON THE LIVESTREAM LINK TO VIEW LIVE OR FOR A REPLAY OF THE SERVICES. YOU MAY ALSO WATCH LIVE OR A REPLAY ON the DR. Greg SLOOP FACEBOOK PAGE. FOR AUDIO OF THE SERVICES, GO To THE WEBSITE, kcog.org, AND CLICK ON THE MEDIA PAGE.
September 19, 2021
John 13:1–17 (NKJV)
- 13:1 Now before the Feast of the Passover, when Jesus knew that His hour had come that He should depart from this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end.
- 2 And supper being ended, the devil having already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him, 3 Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into His hands, and that He had come from God and was going to God, 4 rose from supper and laid aside His garments, took a towel and girded Himself. 5 After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.
- 6 Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, “Lord, are You washing my feet?” 7 Jesus answered and said to him, “What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this.”
- 8 Peter said to Him, “You shall never wash my feet!”
- Jesus answered him, “If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me.”
- 9 Simon Peter said to Him, “Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head!”
- 10 Jesus said to him, “He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you.” 11 For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, “You are not all clean.”
- 12 So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you? 13 You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. 14 If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.
- 16 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. 17 If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.
- Submit Your Pride
- Submit Your Talents, Time, and Treasure
- Submit Your Will
- Engage God for His Leadership
- Engage People in Need
- Engage the Needs of the People
- Engage Your Team
- Reflect on the Calling
- Reflect on the Work
- Reflect on the People Served
- Reflect on the Sacrifice, Thankfully
- See the Work You Do in Service as Vital
- Give it Life and Energy (Vitality)
- Give it Your All for the Glory of God
- Do What You Do for the Lord and Others with Excellence
- Don’t Give God a Half-hearted Effort
- Give to God First, and Give God Your Best
- I Grieve When People Do Not Take Advantage of the Wonderful Opportunity to Serve God in Ways That Make a Difference
- Hebrews 9:13–14 (NKJV)
- 13 For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh, 14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
S.E.R.V.E. (Takeaway Thoughts)