1 Hear this, all peoples; Give ear, all inhabitants of the world,
2 Both low and high,
Rich and poor together.
3 My mouth shall speak wisdom,
And the meditation of my heart shall give understanding.
4 I will incline my ear to a proverb;
I will disclose my dark saying on the harp.
- Lord, I long to share Your truth with all people.
- I wish to declare it to everyone, poor and rich, educated and ignorant.
- The wise and the simple can understand Your truth. It is universal and powerful!
- Help me to share Your wisdom with those in search of truth.
- Give me the courage to share that truth with those who may not want to hear.
- I will sing of Your glory and play an instrument to make it heard.
5 Why should I fear in the days of evil,
When the iniquity at my heels surrounds me?
6 Those who trust in their wealth
And boast in the multitude of their riches,
7 None of them can by any means redeem his brother,
Nor give to God a ransom for him—
8 For the redemption of their souls is costly,
And it shall cease forever—
9 That he should continue to live eternally,
And not see the Pit.
10 For he sees wise men die;
Likewise the fool and the senseless person perish,
And leave their wealth to others.
11 Their inner thought is that their houses will last forever,
Their dwelling places to all generations;
They call their lands after their own names.
12 Nevertheless man, though in honor, does not remain;
He is like the beasts that perish.
- The righteous have no need of fear.
- No scheme or danger planned for me will prosper.
- Remind me of Your faithfulness and love.
- Keep my heart strong and courageous, for I know You are with me.
- Those who trust in things other than You, O LORD, and foolish and their trust is futile.
- Wealth cannot save a loved one.
- Those who trust in money will perish in eternal punishment.
- Help me keep my mind stayed on You, O LORD, for You are my only true source.
- Wisdom can only take one so far, and then it fails.
- These foolish people who trust in wealth and wisdom will leave their wealth to others and not be able to use it themselves.
- Their homes will fall apart, or else be inhabited by others.
- They are like beasts that fail and perish.
- But I will trust in You, Lord, and I will be redeemed and sustained.
13 This is the way of those who are foolish,
And of their posterity who approve their sayings.
- This path of wealth and wisdom is mere foolishness without the leadership and teaching of the Most High God!
- Those who cheer them on lead them to their own demise.
- Lord, I will pause and meditate on Your goodness, Your faithfulness, Your truth.
- You alone are the source of my salvation. Keep my mind steadfast upon You!
Artwork from https://storage.googleapis.com/pverse/verses/m/y/my-mouth-shall-speak-wisdom-the-meditation-of-my-heart-shall-be-understandi-esv-30839.jpg