The End of the Wicked and the Peace of the Godly
To the Chief Musician. A Contemplation of David When Doeg the Edomite Went and Told Saul, and Said to Him, “David Has Gone to the House of Ahimelech.”
1 Why do you boast in evil, O mighty man?
The goodness of God endures continually.
2 Your tongue devises destruction,
Like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.
3 You love evil more than good,
Lying rather than speaking righteousness.
- Lord, I will not boast in my evil deeds or in the evil of the world and its subjects.
- Your goodness is great and eternal.
- You are the judge of the entire earth!
- The evil plot against others to destroy, and they love a lie more than the truth.
- They work their evil and love it more than the goodness that God desires.
- I sadly think on this travesty, this miscarriage of justice, this sinful state in which we find our world.
4 You love all devouring words,
You deceitful tongue.
5 God shall likewise destroy you forever;
He shall take you away, and pluck you out of your dwelling place,
And uproot you from the land of the living.
- The wicked love to speak in ways that destroy and demoralize.
- The tongue of the wicked is full of lies and deceit.
- But You, O LORD, have truth and righteousness on Your side.
- You will destroy the wicked if they do not repent.
- They will be stopped from their evil doings.
- Lord, preserve us and keep us, even when the evil seek to wipe us from the earth.
6 The righteous also shall see and fear,
And shall laugh at him, saying,
7 “Here is the man who did not make God his strength,
But trusted in the abundance of his riches,
And strengthened himself in his wickedness.”
8 But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God;
I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever.
9 I will praise You forever,
Because You have done it;
And in the presence of Your saints
I will wait on Your name, for it is good.
- Lord, knowing that You are the righteous judge, I will fear Your wrath and be thankful for Your grace and mercy.
- I will be glad when the wicked man or woman is stopped from their evil doings.
- I do not want to trust in the temporary when I have the eternal at my fingertips.
- Plant me like a healthy olive tree in Your kingdom.
- Help me to produce good fruit for Your glory.
- Remind me to keep a praise upon my lips, and a recognition of Your great works in my mind.
- I will call out Your great works among Your saints, and declare Your goodness at all times.
- Make me trust in You when I am weak. Train my mind to think on You. Call me higher and draw me near, for You are my hope, my only hope.