Folly of the Godless, and the Restoration of Israel
To the Chief Musician. Set to “Mahalath.” A Contemplation of David.
1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, and have done abominable iniquity;
There is none who does good.
2 God looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
To see if there are any who understand, who seek God.
3 Every one of them has turned aside;
They have together become corrupt;
There is none who does good,
No, not one.
- Lord, I will not be a fool. I know You are God and that You exist eternally.
- Keep me from corrupt acts full of iniquity.
- I am a human being, full of evil intent, but I long to be holy and please You alone.
- Look upon me in my struggle. I long for your presence and Your truth.
- Everyone around me, it seems, experiences the same struggle.
- We are all lost and without direction, unless You help us. Help us, Lord!
4 Have the workers of iniquity no knowledge,
Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
And do not call upon God?
5 There they are in great fear
Where no fear was,
For God has scattered the bones of him who encamps against you;
You have put them to shame,
Because God has despised them.
- Give me knowledge, O LORD, that I may please You.
- I call upon You, God, that I may not be put to shame.
- I fear You and Your judgment, but I long for Your presence anyway.
- In Your presence I am safe and have joy.
6 Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion!
When God brings back the captivity of His people,
Let Jacob rejoice and Israel be glad.
- Lord, let Your salvation come unto Your people!
- Bring back our lost loved ones, our prodigals, our captives.
- Liberate those in bondage. Set the captives free. Let us rejoice over our friends and family being saved.
- Let all Your people rejoice over the blessings of God. Help us to see Your work in our days.
- Blessed be the name of the Lord, and blessed be those who call on Your name!