1 Give ear, O my people, to my law;
Incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
2 I will open my mouth in a parable;
I will utter dark sayings of old,
3 Which we have heard and known,
And our fathers have told us.
4 We will not hide them from their children,
Telling to the generation to come the praises of the LORD,
And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
- Lord, speak to me in with clear words that I can understand.
- Let me know Your law so that I may obey You.
- If You speak a parable, let it be revealed to me. Do not let me remain in confusion and darkness.
- Let Your truth be passed on to all generations so that they may praise You in beauty.
- We will declare Your wondrous works to all who will hear!
5 For He established a testimony in Jacob,
And appointed a law in Israel,
Which He commanded our fathers,
That they should make them known to their children;
6 That the generation to come might know them,
The children who would be born,
That they may arise and declare them to their children,
7 That they may set their hope in God,
And not forget the works of God,
But keep His commandments;
8 And may not be like their fathers,
A stubborn and rebellious generation,
A generation that did not set its heart aright,
And whose spirit was not faithful to God.
- Your testimony is established in perpetuity.
- Your law has been unto our fathers and ancestors, and it is relevant and essential to our children, as well.
- Lord, we will declare Your law from generation to generation, so that they may believe and be saved.
- Lord, help us never to forget Your blessings and Your power unto us.
- Help us to honor Your commandments and follow Your leadership to the nth degree.
- Let our children serve You until You redeem us for eternity.
- Let not our children forget You as a reprobate people or an apostate generation.
- Keep us in Your protection and grace.