An Appeal for Israel’s Repentance
To the Chief Musician. On An Instrument of Gath. A Psalm of Asaph.
1 Sing aloud to God our strength;
Make a joyful shout to the God of Jacob.
2 Raise a song and strike the timbrel,
The pleasant harp with the lute.
3 Blow the trumpet at the time of the New Moon,
At the full moon, on our solemn feast day.
4 For this is a statute for Israel,
A law of the God of Jacob.
5 This He established in Joseph as a testimony,
When He went throughout the land of Egypt,
Where I heard a language I did not understand.
6 “I removed his shoulder from the burden;
His hands were freed from the baskets.
7 You called in trouble, and I delivered you;
I answered you in the secret place of thunder;
I tested you at the waters of Meribah.
- Lord, I will sing and shout praises unto You. I will sing and play instruments, making a joyful noise unto my God.
- I will declare an assembly to praise Your name as You desire.
- You have given us leaders for our good and You have provided for us when the famine came.
- You delivered us from our oppressors and then carried us from bondage to a place of promise.
- Lord, visit us again in this day and show us Your power to save us and give us provision and blessing.
- Deliver us from our sinful bondages and allow us to see Your strong hand at work on our behalf.
- Test us, Lord, and prove us faithful. Provide for us, remove oppression from us, take us from slavery to freedom through Your great power.
8 “Hear, O My people, and I will admonish you!
O Israel, if you will listen to Me!
9 There shall be no foreign god among you;
Nor shall you worship any foreign god.
10 I am the LORD your God,
Who brought you out of the land of Egypt;
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.
11 “But My people would not heed My voice,
And Israel would have none of Me.
12 So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart,
To walk in their own counsels.
13 “Oh, that My people would listen to Me,
That Israel would walk in My ways!
14 I would soon subdue their enemies,
And turn My hand against their adversaries.
15 The haters of the LORD would pretend submission to Him,
But their fate would endure forever.
16 He would have fed them also with the finest of wheat;
And with honey from the rock I would have satisfied you.”
- Lord, I know that You punished Israel for their idolatry. Lord, deliver us from the false gods of the earth.
- Help us to never forget from where You delivered us and set us free.
- Establish in our hearts the full knowledge and belief that You are the only true God.
- Keep us from straying from You. Keep us faithful. Crush our pride and stubbornness.
- We will keep our ear attuned to Your voice.
- We will walk in the path You blaze before us.
- Help me to position myself for Your blessings and not Your chastisement.
- I long for You and You alone. Keep me in Your hand and lead me in the ways everlasting.
- I know that You are my God!