A Plea for Justice
A Psalm of Asaph.
1 God stands in the congregation of the mighty;
He judges among the gods.
2 How long will you judge unjustly,
And show partiality to the wicked?
- Lord, there are many who presume to be as great as God. What a travesty! No one is like You!
- You stand among the mighty and the god-like, and You rule them all.
- You are the Great and Mighty God, the one and only.
- I pause and consider Your greatness, which is above all others.
3 Defend the poor and fatherless;
Do justice to the afflicted and needy.
4 Deliver the poor and needy;
Free them from the hand of the wicked.
5 They do not know, nor do they understand;
They walk about in darkness;
All the foundations of the earth are unstable.
- Lord, help me to see the needs of the poor and provide for them.
- Give me a heart for orphans, and put them in homes.
- Deliver them from their oppression and need, and help me to have a heart that pleads their cause.
- Stop the hand of the wicked oppressor and give the oppressed their freedom.
6 I said, “You are gods,
And all of you are children of the Most High.
7 But you shall die like men,
And fall like one of the princes.”
8 Arise, O God, judge the earth;
For You shall inherit all nations.
- Men cannot live without Your provision.
- Even those who are gods, and are presumed to be sons of the Most High, they will die one day and face eternity alone.
- Even princes will fall!
- Remind me of my frailty, and keep me humble.
- Keep me aware of my need for You.
- I know I need You every day.
- Arise on my behalf and judge my enemies.
- Fend off those who would harm me.
- Take vengeance on my enemies and judge them harshly.
- You are the God of all nations. Rule me and rule over those who would oppress me.
- I trust You and I believe You are my strength!