God the Refuge of the Righteous
1 O LORD God, to whom vengeance belongs—
O God, to whom vengeance belongs, shine forth!
2 Rise up, O Judge of the earth;
Render punishment to the proud.
3 LORD, how long will the wicked,
How long will the wicked triumph?
- Lord, You are the only being righteous enough to own vengeance.
- Lord, in my need, I ask You to shine on my situation and rise up in judgment.
- Your judgments are true and right. The sin of evil men and women deserve punishment.
- Satan and his demons deserve the ultimate punishment of the bottomless pit.
- You have the right and the ability to render justice and exact revenge. Why are you waiting?
- How long will the evil be allowed to run free in their sin?
4 They utter speech, and speak insolent things;
All the workers of iniquity boast in themselves.
5 They break in pieces Your people, O LORD,
And afflict Your heritage.
6 They slay the widow and the stranger,
And murder the fatherless.
7 Yet they say, “The LORD does not see,
Nor does the God of Jacob understand.”
- Evil people speak incessantly of their arrogant thoughts.
- They boast and disregard authority.
- They work against the people of God, and seek to eradicate them from the earth.
- They go so far as to attack the helpless, and attack those that they do not even know.
- They believe that the Lord will not even know what they do, or understand their sinfulness.
- LORD, You see and know all things. Exact Your judgment, hold up Your standard, show the way. You are the righteous judge and the Lord of all the earth.