A Song of Praise to the Sovereign LORD
1 The LORD reigns;
Let the earth rejoice;
Let the multitude of isles be glad!
2 Clouds and darkness surround Him;
Righteousness and justice are the foundation of His throne.
3 A fire goes before Him,
And burns up His enemies round about.
4 His lightnings light the world;
The earth sees and trembles.
5 The mountains melt like wax at the presence of the LORD,
At the presence of the Lord of the whole earth.
6 The heavens declare His righteousness,
And all the peoples see His glory.
- Lord, all the earth must declare Your glory!
- The islands and the seas are Yours.
- Clouds and darkness are Your covering.
- Righteousness and justice are the powerful stones upon which you throne is built.
- Fire goes before Him like a trumpet, burning all His enemies.
- Lightning flashes and the earth trembles at the sight of Him.
- The mountains melt like a candle when His presence comes near.
- All the earth and the heavens declare His glory. The people see His righteousness and He is glorious!
7 Let all be put to shame who serve carved images,
Who boast of idols.
Worship Him, all you gods.
8 Zion hears and is glad,
And the daughters of Judah rejoice
Because of Your judgments, O LORD.
9 For You, LORD, are most high above all the earth;
You are exalted far above all gods.
- Idolaters are shameful, boasting of man made creations they propose to be gods.
- Worship the Lord. Help me to never put anything else above You, O LORD!
- Let all the people of earth recognize Your fine judgements and Your glory, which rises above the earth and all other gods.
10 You who love the LORD, hate evil!
He preserves the souls of His saints;
He delivers them out of the hand of the wicked.
11 Light is sown for the righteous,
And gladness for the upright in heart.
12 Rejoice in the LORD, you righteous,
And give thanks at the remembrance of His holy name.
- Lord, help me to hate evil all my days, because I love the Lord so much.
- Lord, You preserve and keep me.
- You deliver me from my enemies.
- You sow light for me to work by.
- You give me gladness of heart and make me right in my soul.
- I will rejoice in You, O LORD.
- Just the mention of Your name will make me glad and cause me to give thanks!
- You are great and awesome and You are my Lord!