A Plea for Relief from Persecutors
A Contemplation Of David. A Prayer When He Was in the Cave.
1 I cry out to the LORD with my voice;
With my voice to the LORD I make my supplication.
2 I pour out my complaint before Him;
I declare before Him my trouble.
3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me,
Then You knew my path.
In the way in which I walk
They have secretly set a snare for me.
4 Look on my right hand and see,
For there is no one who acknowledges me;
Refuge has failed me;
No one cares for my soul.
- Lord, I cry out to You with a loud shout.
- I beseech You for help in my time of need.
- I honor You, but I am frustrated by my situation.
- I declare to You that my trouble is more than I can bear.
- My spirit is overwhelmed, and I cannot bear my plight.
- But I know that You know exactly what I am going through.
- You see every twist and turn in my path, the traps that are laid for my feet, the enemies that hide in the shadows, and the places where I am vulnerable.
- Protect me, O LORD, and be my refuge in my time and place of trouble.
5 I cried out to You, O LORD:
I said, “You are my refuge,
My portion in the land of the living.
6 Attend to my cry,
For I am brought very low;
Deliver me from my persecutors,
For they are stronger than I.
7 Bring my soul out of prison,
That I may praise Your name;
The righteous shall surround me,
For You shall deal bountifully with me.”
- I cry out to You, for You are my refuge. You are my portion.
- I will live, and not die. I will have a portion in the land, for You give me life and You grant me inheritance.
- When I am brought to a place of distress and pain, please deliver me.
- Push back my persecutors, for You are stronger than they will ever be.
- Spring me from their traps, and open their prison doors that I might be free.
- I will praise You in the midst of Your people. The righteous will be my family and my friends.
- Surround me with allies so that we may be strong together, and give us of Your bounty that we may be fed, clothed, and cared for all our days. You are the Lord and our Provider. Blessed be Your name!